About the writer
Samantha Searle is a Principal Analyst at Gartner.
Considering the speedy tempo at which expertise trends emerge and evolve, it may be troublesome deciding which of these trends current alternatives and which pose dangers. Each expertise pattern may need completely different sorts of potential influence: broad and world, or slender and area of interest.
Trends hardly ever act in isolation: take into account established digital applied sciences, reminiscent of the Internet of Things (IoT) and artificial intelligence (AI), which mix to generate new trends that then create an exponentially larger influence.
Data and analytics
For occasion, IoT-generated information is being utilized to advanced analytics and machine learning. This course of produces a higher variety of clever purposes and brokers able to suggesting the greatest response in any given state of affairs. Combining all three applied sciences has created the digital twin, a digital illustration of a real-world entity or system.
However, the digital twin won’t show related to all trendy enterprise wants. This is why approaching trends in a complete, ‘large image’ means is important. It’s tempting to be offered on overhyped trends, however not all trends are equal, and never all will apply.
The query then turns into: how will you inform which expertise trends will evolve to trigger appreciable disruption or create new alternatives in your particular organisation? Three key elements will in the end allow you to establish the potential influence of a selected expertise pattern on individuals, business, IT, and the expertise market:
- New worth. Identify clear business alternatives that this expertise pattern might assist exploit, or challenges that it might assist remedy to supply higher business outcomes;
- Level of digital disruption. Decide whether or not adopting this pattern would imply altering your organisation’s business mannequin or contain growing a brand new one. Could this new pattern exchange present applied sciences or methods of doing business? How might this pattern disrupt the expertise market? Although there’ll most likely be alternatives for brand spanking new suppliers, new trends can disrupt the companies and efficiency of present suppliers on which your organisation could rely;
- Type of influence. Investigate whether or not the pattern’s influence shall be felt solely inside your organisation, or whether or not it can have an exterior influence in your organisation.
Impact of trends
Technology trends may also differ relying on how far-reaching their influence could also be. Different trends would possibly have an effect on a single nation, a number of nations, or influence a whole area. The measurement of a pattern’s influence will depend upon the social, cultural, geopolitical, and financial elements in a selected nation or area.
It’s additionally price allowing for that a pattern may need a direct or oblique influence on interactions between individuals, companies, IT departments, or expertise departments. It may also have an effect on the duties and operations that these individuals or departments carry out.
Virtual reality, augmented actuality, and digital personal assistants (VPAs), reminiscent of Apple’s Siri, Microsoft’s Cortana and Amazon’s Alexa, are trends that have had a direct influence. This is as a result of these trends have modified the means we work together with units and companies.
Trends round cloud computing and cellular expertise have equally had substantial and direct influence on companies, IT departments, and the expertise market. In impact, these applied sciences have compelled a whole overhaul of software technique, which now bases purposes on software as a service (SaaS) and extends them onto cellular units by way of apps.
Responding to trends
There are a complete host of things that will have an effect on an organisation’s capacity to reply to a selected expertise trends and the applied sciences referring to it. These elements embody price, regulation issues, privateness issues, usability, and societal response. The extent to which these elements have an effect on an organisation’s response to a selected expertise pattern will inevitably differ, relying on pattern maturity.
An ideal instance will be present in rising expertise trends. These trends have a tendency to return saddled with higher issues round danger, safety, and privateness. As a pattern grows, elements together with price and danger lower in significance, whereas elements reminiscent of implementation exercise and value come to the fore.
When trends go mainstream
Eventually, a pattern enters the mainstream, gaining a stronger social and cultural response, whereas growing adoption means that authorities want to supply extra regulation referring to the explicit pattern.
When responding to a expertise pattern that seems on their trendspotting watchlist, you are able to do the following:
- Ignore the pattern, as it’s unlikely to be related to your organisation’s business mannequin and technique;
- Monitor the pattern periodically to see if its potential influence or maturity has modified. In addition, you’ll be able to discover potential impacts and applicability into modernisation and innovation efforts on a continued foundation;
- Mitigate the influence of the pattern, or put together however put together for the way it would possibly negatively have an effect on your business and trade even should you determine to not undertake it;
- Adopt the pattern and apply it in business, actively factoring it into tasks given its potential and business worth;
- Leverage the pattern to reinvent the business mannequin as a result of it has a really clear relevance to concrete and present business wants and alternatives that might ship important aggressive benefit and allow your organisation to be the disruptor, not the disrupted.
Spotting expertise trends earlier than they grow to be shrouded in hype and understanding their nature from the organisation’s perspective earlier than responding to them is essential.
Samantha Searle is a Principal Analyst at Gartner.